Fall goals and regime ideas.

Keeping it simple and easy....

I have not bought either Enter the Kettlebell or any of Scott Sonnon's clubbell dvds or books so I am going on the very primary instructional material I acquired about both subjects. 'The Russian Kettlebell Challenge' in print and on VHS are where my iron training began while I worked at an old bodybuilding gym practicing in the cages according to Pavel Tsatsouline's 'Power to the People' protocols and instructions. Over the Summer, I picked up Scott Sonnon's Intuflow/Xtension/mini-clubbell package. With delivery this came to about one-hundred some-teen dollars....not bad and really good when taking in the quality and volume of instruction put in the dvds. The bells are nice, well weighted and the rubberized surface has few flaws, mine started peeling a bit at the handle end.

The arsenal of funky items I am working with are entertaining for people to see when they come over...especially folks in the music club I am a part of. I have two rather large Swiss balls, one knee high yellow Swiss ball, 8 lbs. medicine ball, two 6 pound Valeo soft/heavy grip balls...these are really fun, two 5 pound mini-clubbells, 2 36lbs. kettlebells, 2 competition style kettlebells coming in at about 25lbs., another dragondoor russian 50 and a 72 pounder. The macebell is the killer, only 22 lbs. and nasty! I use a footbag...or hackey sack and also a large hula-hoop common to this area of the country being that many people here in Eugene are circus arts practicioners such as jugglers and 'hoopers'.

Foam rollers usually used for myofascial release techniques and stretching I like to apply for instability regimes. It's a nice bit of sauce for the meat of the session.

I bet nobody will even read this....oh well. I only weigh in at 147 or so, and stand at 5'10" so I concentrate far more on enduring a large volume of intense work that changes constantly. This was effective for some time but now I have to adapt to my age and desire for greater gains. Recently, I researched the bodyweight excersizes of Flowfit, Steve Maxwell's Joint Mobility, Prasara Yoga, Systema and Intuflow...recently being the last year and a half and have been very satisfied. The free e-book from Bodyweight Exercise Revolution introducing the 6 degrees of freedom methodology is very good. I am quite glad they distributed this for free because it does help to understand where the whole Circular Strength Training community is coming from.

All this being said now I have a huge volume of bodyweight exercises that I want to progress on, plus with the chin-up bar and rings in the house I can really get some super gains with the right volume and intensity applied. This Fall I am looking forward to a simple structure. What I have gleaned from forums about ETK protocols is what I came to on my own. I have only gained to the point that recently I could clean the 72 and swing the 72 for a good bit of time and feel like I had command of the bell. Just the ups and downs of the game I suppose and only within the last year becoming of some minor comfort with the bells. This would make it around year 4 or 5 of obviously very irregular practice.

Having iron sessions focusing of swings, cleans, clean to front squat, swing-to-high pull and snatching all as a timed drill like the Art of Strength has done me wonders and seems to match the idea of ETK focusing like a laser on very basic techniques and their benefits. I'll be mapping out what I'm up to on this blog with regularity. Got to get it happening, later on then!

Comments