Okay, tough stuff first...

....this is what has been in my head lately when I structure my practice. I still can't keep away from lifting iron and so I am trying to force sets of body-weight in just to create a fluid feel. Unfortunately for my very rigid education and how it has shaped my hopes for how my intellect will behave, I seem to form great work out of a chaos of information and attempts.

I have been structuring my body-weight practice on the CST folks with Scott Sonnon's "Bodyweight Exercise Revolution"-a free ebook and it was cool because of how they give examples of the 6 degrees of freedom. I dig his style and really with a good deal of experience myself I can play for some time with his 'body-flow' style. They are doing something that makes athletes say "A-ha, I knew it!". Intuitive movement training is how physical culture evolves so that more members of society at large can be involved. The parlance will be interesting to see develop over the years to come.

An example of some practice routines that feel real good is as follows:

Fifty pound kettlebell swing-I like how Sonnon demoed this once and use a soft, twisting style since then-for about 10 reps each arm.

Roll from a sitting position onto back using breathing to get the impetus for the maneuver-maybe going into shoulder stand and touch back/plow position drils....whatever...I just keep it kinda short and intense with a cool concentration on breathing into things right.

Fifty pound swing again...pulling it up like an uppercut or rifle in a movie, soft-style still so the legs really have to be nimble and the hips full to transfer all that force...this one is really taxing on the breath and the grip...I enjoy it very much. 10 reps each arm.

Ring pull from feet touching floor in a bridging position....my rings hang from a chin bar in a doorway of the house, pulls and like a row in essence because of how I must assume the position. This is fun with various foot supports such as foam rollers and Swiss balls.

Ring presses....5 'pulls'-5 'presses'-the Party is always right-when doing them to lockout with a real squeeze, mmm! the joints take it rough at first but later they are very satisfied with the nerve recruitment and the tendon/ligament eustress.

Chins-typically I try to start all this as sets of 5 and maybe move down the ladder as I break from the iron- not today though-just bursts of 4-6

Macebell swinging-around the head-'hammer swing' I believe it is called. I don't yet have the grip strength to get 10-2s and 360s. 10 one way-10 changing grip (think of batting, using a hoe-dad...)- 10 the other.

Fifty pound Swings to a clean and squat-back up to lock out in the rack-swing and up to the clean and front squat.....and so on 10 on each side. This is good for me because it makes me have to time my breathing. The breathing in the front squat is like a growling, tight glottal exhale with a baby's inhale, like a dog sniffing awakened from a nap...to lock out, exhaling softly to go tight in the rack, more exhale as the decent begins pushing the hips back until the spring is felt from toe-to tail-to tip of the forward pointing nose-then I put my mind on the mustache area to take a 'shot' of air through the nose that should inflate the torso, to the hips and into the legs to repel the Earth....forcing the hip forward.....it's very good for chi development of the legs and hips.

Long rest.....damn near any thing after this point but mostly light and focused on dexterous movement.

Medicine ball play-an 8 pound medicine ball that is all worn from use-I roll this around like a contact juggler trying to walk in regular patterns-the rule is to never really hold it.

Foot bag kicking-best to eventually fill one with fine sand and shot and kick with very light shoes...that's the best bag I ever had! Anyway you go at that trying to kick and kick and kick very low, very rhythmically and with always with both legs back and forth, one after the other, this is how ambidextrous patterns in the brain can be molded through out life.

There are many days that my regime is quite rigid and fits in a chart very easily but I guess today was more for fun and hammering out the kettlebell basics. I really am trying to keep it simple with the kettlebells again and going for swing based regimes and progressions...with a focus on consistent form and breathing until I am ready to hammer higher difficulty or higher rep structures.

With two thirty six pound kettlebells and a pair of competition style twenty six pounders I can go through a variety of the strict grinds to keep recruitment high but not tax myself so that I can't keep progressing on that swinging!

My next pinch of spice is to go through the Art of Strength-turkish get up five part breakdown drill. I like it and see how they use it to evaluate clients. It also teaches quite a good basic bodyweight balance and support maneuver to get to the knee down/split squat position. A ground up approach is always solid because it always comes down to getting something heavy up off the ground and controlling it...in my experience.

Comments